Call for abstracts
Originally scheduled for 2020, this conference has been redesigned as a hybrid conference experience to allow greater flexibility.
Previously held in Bournemouth (UK), Macao (China) and Orlando (US), the Making New Waves in Africa conference is proudly hosted by the Cape Peninsula University of Technology, South Africa.
This conference will encompass presentations and workshops where participants will bring their expertise to create new waves of support for reimagining of events post covid-19. Within the context of exploring new frontiers in festivals and events, this conference will examine a variety of contemporary global issues in events and festivals, combining academic discipline with professional practice. The conference also now includes a specific track on events education, as the conference partners with the Tourism Educators of South Africa (TESA) association.
Once accepted, authors choose to present either physically in Cape Town or virtually online. The virtual component of the conference will go ahead regardless of local conditions and regulations related to gatherings.
You are invited to submit an abstract based on the conference themes below.
- Africa – an emerging events destination
- African festivals and events
- New event spaces and places
- Policies and politics of events
- Social sustainability
- Environmental sustainability
- Events and economic development
- Crisis and risk management
- Health and safety
- Co-creation and event experiences
- Design and production of events
- Business events (MICE)
- Events and emerging technologies
- Sport events
- Cultural heritage events
- Creating authenticity in events
- Events education
- Impacts and legacies (the future of the industry)
- Events and equality – LGBTQ+ rights, gender, universal access
- Third sector events – not-for-profit, charities, special-cause events
- Resilience and events
- Abstract submission deadline: Friday, 18 June 2021
- Confirmation of abstract acceptance: Monday, 16 August 2021
- Full paper submission (optional): Friday, 15 October 2021
- Early bird registration: Friday, 17 September 2021
Conference organising committee:
- Conference Chair, Dr Brendon Knott, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa
- Dr Ubaldino Couto, Macao Institute for Tourism Studies, Macao SAR, China
- Dr Julie Whitfield, Bournemouth University, Bournemouth, UK
- Dr Jeeyeon Jeannie Hahm, University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida, USA
- Lara van Zvl, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa
- Esti Venske, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa
For abstract submission and more details about the conference, please visit our dedicated website: https://makingwavesinevents.org/cape-town-2021